This morning my step dad and I ran a 5K (3.2 miles) for the Utah Independent Living Center. All the entry fees went to helping the disabled so it wasn't super competitive. Good for my first race since highschool. I used to run 5K's with my step dad all the time in Highschool. But its been about 6 years since the last one. The course was fairly flat, I think there was only one hill and it wasn't very big. But boy, when I saw that half way point I swear I heard angels singing! The clouds parted and a ray of light shone down on the little cone. That was when I thought to myself that maybe I could make it all the way.
I've been running every other day for the last 2 weeks, but I haven't made it even close to 3 miles, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to run the whole thing today. I figured I'd have to walk the last half. But I did make it. Of course I had to slow down my pace and take it pretty easy. And I did throw up afterward, but I made it.
My time was 30 minutes 31 seconds. I didn't expect to make it in less than 40. There wasn't a whole lot of people there, but I came in 11th overall out of the runners. I was hoping they would break it down into age groups but they didn't.
Some people raced in their wheelchairs, some pushed wheelchairs, some raced in those cycles that you pedal with your hands, and some walked.

I'm standing close to center, behind the guy in the yellow shirt. My step dad is the bald guy on the left side of the picture.

Morgan having fun with Grandma while we raced.


I hate mid-run pictures, but here I am running by Morgan and my mom. I yelled out Morgan's name and waved to her and my mom said she got pretty upset that I just kept running by without stopping.

I know, I'm a dork.
6 comments:
WAY TO GO!!!! You should be soooooo proud of yourself for pushing beyond what you thought you could do! It definately shows what an awesome person you are!!
That is so awesome Katie! I don't think I could do it.
Wow, congrats on finishing! That's awesome. I wish I could run like that!
I can't even run for like 10 seconds, I am so out of shape! Good for you! You look great!
dork? Katie... that's AWESOME!
Congrats! I'm so proud of you!
Post a Comment