September 28, 2008

Book Review #1

Book: The Kingdom and the Crown Volume 1 of 3-Fishers of Men
Author: Gerald N. Lund
Finished: September 28, 2008
Pages: 640
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Year: 2000
Fishers of Men is a fictional story that takes place during actual events happening in The New Testament times.

The family of David of Capernaum is living in Roman-ruled Israel during the mortal ministry of Jesus Christ. David's family is divided in their beliefs of whether or not Jesus is the promised Messiah. There is much controversy on the subject throughout the land, especially amongst the Pharisees and Sudducees who have spent their entire lives studying and practicing their interpretation of the Bible and Jewish religion. In the midst of the trouble that Jesus of Nazareth is causing for religious leaders, there is also trouble stirring between religious and political leaders.

I loved this book. It wasn't one of those 'I-can't-put-it-down' type of books, however I did love reading it. I learned a lot about the Jewish faith, the political situation of the time period, and about the ministry of Christ. Although the family in the book is fictional, the story really puts into perspective the issues that were presented to those who lived during the New Testament times. It made me wonder where I would have stood in my faith had a lived back then, and a man had come into my hometown claiming to be the Messiah and Savior of the world who was prophesied by so many prophets. It also made me take a look at where my faith is today. Am I just living the motions or am I truly a follower of Christ? Do I really understand the religion I claim to be converted to?

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading any type of Christian fiction. Although written by an LDS author, it makes no reference to the LDS religion that I noticed. Only to the Old Testament, New Testament, and several historical texts on Israel, the Jewish religion, and Biblical research. It is quite obvious that the author spent countless hours ensuring that events, customs, and geographical location surrounding his fictional story were as accurate as could be. I can't wait to read Volume 2!

3 comments:

amanda said...

Katie! I loved those books. It helped me to see how people rejected Christ, and really made me wonder if I would have had faith enough. I always thought, how could they? Its the same now, if we are too far out of tune, truths are hard to apply. You have inspired me to d own little book challenge, thought not as ambitious as yours. Thanks!

Adam Amy Wes said...

This was one of my favorite series!! I love all of Lund's books! You are going to love the next ones!

The Bott Family said...

Hi. I'm Melanie. I saw your blog and had to comment on the book. Fishers of Men was one of the first REAL books I purchased and read before my mission. I had forgotten about it until my mom found the other volumes. She read it while I was gone and had to get the whole collection. They really are great books.

I have to add that she kept it as well! I didn't mind.

Home Is Where The Army Sends Us

Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006