December 9, 2008

Book Review #3

Book: The Kingdom and The Crown Volume 3-Behold The Man
Author: Gerald N. Lund
Finished: December 8, 2008
Pages: 704
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Year: 2006
Behold The Man is the final volume in this series of books. It is a fictional story that takes place during actual events happening during the New Testament times.
This book was a little bit longer than the first 2 and I felt like it was full of unnecessary details. On many occasions the author described every last detail of the food on the table and I found myself skipping entire paragraphs because I wanted to get on with the story. He also repeated a lot of history that he had explained in previous novels, like the details of the Passover meal and other Jewish traditions. I also felt like the ending was cluttered and full of chaos, and then it ended abruptly.
I still loved this book. I loved the entire series. I loved the way the author depicted the Roman soldiers as they arrested Christ and then later crucified him. I have never learned so much from a fictional novel. As I mentioned in my first book review, Lund does an amazing job at siting his facts and distinguishing between what is fact and what was added by the author to make for a better plot. He quotes many biblical scriptures and historical manuscripts at the end of each chapter. I feel like I have a better understanding of the New Testament because I now understand more about the culture and religion of the time. I definately understand some of Christ's parables better (like the parable of the 10 virgins and the oil lamps).
Clint and I may eventually read these books together. I think it would be fun to read a chapter and then find the corresponding events in the New Testament and see if we can't learn even more that way. I just can't get over how much I learned about Christ's life and ministry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool Katie. I love to hear how your testimony is strengthened. That is how I felt about the Work and the Glory. I had a new appreciateion for the pioneers. That would be a good series for you to get into also. I have all of those too. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

PS: Where's the pictures of Morgan???

Mindy said...

I can't wait to start reading these books. They will have to wait though because I have about 10 books I have to read first.

Home Is Where The Army Sends Us

Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006