July 10, 2008

Graduation Ball-July 9, 2008

Last night was the graduation ball. We got to dress up all fancy so it was fun. My friend Jennie did my hair for me (THANK YOU SO MUCH!). Our friend, Nate, took this picture when we dropped Morgan off. Nate babysat most the night until Mindy got home from work. Thanks guys!! We owe you one!
Just a picture of the tables. Whoever sat at this table closest to the camera got a HUGE piece of cheesecake! Mine was half that size :(
A handsome picture of my husband
Another one of us
This table was in the center of the room. It was a POW/MIA/KIA memorial. They had a ceremony that honored men and women from the 4 branches of the military. Everthing on the table had a meaning, from the salt to the rose to the turned up chairs. I'm pretty sure I cried during the ceremony. The soldiers who participated did an amazing job.
The only drinks onthe table were wine, iced tea, and water. Clint thought the wine was grape juice. Just kidding, but he looks a little on the tipsy side here.
Nikki...I took this picture for you...I didn't know if you had seen the center pieces that they told you about. They actually looked really nice, except they could have used prettier floating candles.
Us at dinner
They did a tribute to the family members who have supported the soldiers through flight school. They gave us a 'diploma' and called us 'gradumates'. I thought it was cute. Then they gave us necklaces that are miniature charms of the wings that will be pinned on them tomorrow. Clint actually bought me the necklace for my birthday 2 years ago not knowing that this was the tradition.
One last picture of us in front of the flags after the ball

The guest speaker did a pretty good job. He actually made me want Clint to retire from the military. He had been in for 39 years of active duty and had experienced so much. I kept looking at all of the high ranking officials there and thinking how honorable those men are. You can see the experience in their faces, and I can't imagine all they've seen and done. And their wives have been there with them every step of the way, supporting them and keeping their families in order, sometimes by themselves. What honorable women they are. The speaker talked about how the families that support their soldiers are usually the deciding factor in career changes, change of station opportunities, promotion opportunities, etc, so it was appropriate for them to recieve their 'wings' before the soldiers do tomorrow (hence the necklace thing). One thing I've loved about the military is their appreciation and respect for families.

5 comments:

Melissa & Jimmy said...

You look gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both. YOu made me cry at work Katie. Shame on you. Love ya.

4everboys said...

You look beautiful! Sounds like you had a blast!

The Patty Cake House said...

You look so pretty!

Carissa said...

You guys both look great. You're so beautiful Katie. Seeing all those pictures of the ball brought back the memory of it. I should have taken some. Good luck with the big move!

Home Is Where The Army Sends Us

Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006