November 23, 2008

New CarSeat

I've been looking at carseats online lately. Morgan is just about outgrown her infant seat. I've been trying to research what the requirements are for age/weight and what type of seat a child should be in. From what I understand they should be rear facing until they are at least 1 and weigh 20 lbs. Then they can face forward in a car seat until they are 4 years old and weigh 40 lbs. And then can sit in a booster until they are 8 years old and weigh 80 lbs. After that they aren't required to use any sort of seat.

These the regulations for Utah that I found by doing a google search. But of course you can't believe everything you read so I'm wondering what all of you mothers out there know and think about it. The car seat below is the one I want. I love our Graco infant seat so I'm thinking a Graco 3-in-1 seat next. It has great reviews. Please give me your opinions. What kind of seat do you use? Do the above mentioned regulations sound about right?

8 comments:

Melanie said...

You are right that the child has to be one and 20 pounds to go forward facing (and then life is much better!). I'm not exactly sure on when they go to a booster, but that sounds about right. I know they are supposed to be in a booster till 8, though. We have this Graco carseat and love it. It's very sturdy (but kind of heavy) and Mason loves to put things in the cup holder. I also got it because of great reviews and have loved it. We also have the Britax Marathon in our other car and that one is great, too. It's more expensive, though. Good luck! Mason was so excited to get in his big boy carseat! (And so was I!)

Kattelman Krew said...

We are planning on getting a Britax for Abrielle. I have heard wonderful things about it, plus it has tested really high for safety.

Anonymous said...

You are right about Utah law kate. That carseat looks awesome.

Anonymous said...

PS: but where's the picture of Morgan? :-)

The Fisher's said...

On your choice of seat - just make sure it is something comfy to sit in or you might be headed for trouble. I've had two friends who's kids hate the car all because they were uncomfortable in their seats. We have an Evenflo Triumph (I think :D) My neighbor had done LOTS of research just before we were going to buy one for Logan and she found that this was the most comparable to the Britax, but not the price! Logan has LOVED it! I think this is the one that Natalie P. actually had two of, and wished she would have bought it again, instead of a cheaper not so comfy one. Good luck, it's quite the choice!

Tiff and Trev said...

We have a Britax for Jace and absolutely love it. It's spendy but really safe and sturdy. Brooklyn is still rear facing because she's only 15 lbs!

The Morton's said...

HI! I stumbled on your blog at Mormon Mom's who blog. I just bought that carseat for my 12 month old. I love so much about it and still do, but one thing I don't like for the moment....it doesn"t recline as much as I'd like it to for a young toddler. Even though it has two reclines, they're both pretty upright. She seems to not be as comfortable to sleep in it, I'm sure that will change as she gets older and fits in it better. My husband doesn't like the way the straps connect when putting in the baby,he thinks it's bulky and akward, but I don't seem to mind.

We have the Britax marathon and love it, but also highly considered the Evenflo Triumph and the Graco Safe Seat Step 2(see my blog for the comparisons)Almost wished I would have gone for the Graco Safe Seat and saved some cash on the Britax.

Good luck!

Generational stitcher said...

We have used a great many carseats, and the regulations are fairly standard in the US. This is actually the car seat we are getting for Alexa when she's old enough. In my opinion, it's easier to get a carseat that you don't have to keep replacing. We bought each of our kids their own booster seats when they turned 3 but now that Adam has trashed the carseat he's in now and it's about 5 years old anyway, when he turns 3 he'll get a seat and we'll get rid of it and get Alexa this one to use. Then we won't have to buy her another seat...ever...hopefully, with the next one we'll just get them one of their own too. I prefer graco seats for the bigger seats. My first infant seat was a graco and my kids all out grew it so fast it wasn't worth it. The one we have now is Eddie Bower...just because it fit in the stroller we needed...and it holds them much longer. Anyway, I probably gave you way more info then you needed :) Sorry.

Home Is Where The Army Sends Us

Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006