I have a bone to pick with America! I think its ludicrous that women are expected to cover themselves when we breastfeed our children. Why should we have to be so secretive about it? My child getting food from my breast is just as natural (if not more natural) as you eating a butchered cow on bread with cheese and ketchup. But you're not expected to eat your lunch with a blanket over your head. And no one expects you to go find a hiding place and eat in private. The media has turned a woman's body into something almost entirely sexual, so that when a baby is breastfeeding in public its almost considered indecent exposure. Jackson hates being covered up when he eats. Its hot and uncomfortable for him and for me. Which makes it difficult to do in public. My baby deserves to be comfortable when he's eating, and I deserve to be comfortable when I'm feeding him, after all, I'm trying my hardest to do what I feel is best for him. Breastfeeding isn't always easy for mom, so why do people have to make it harder for us? I've heard so many women say, "I don't care if other women don't cover up when they nurse, but I cover up because I never know if the people around me will be offended or not." In fact, I'm pretty sure I've said things like that. But I've come to realize that the people around me are not who I should be concerned about. I should be concerned about my child, and my child's comfort. A woman's breasts serve multiple purposes, all of which are beautiful and natural. There is a time and place for each of them. In public, when feeding a child, they are serving one of those purposes. So, here is your fair warning that if it offends you when I breastfeed in public, you can remove yourself from the situation or put a blanket over your head. I'm not going to leave the restaurant, or leave church services, or go sit on the bathroom toilet or floor in an airport, or go sit in the back of my car, or even go to another room. Not until everyone else starts doing the same when they're hungry. I will try to be discreet and I promise you won't see anything unless you're TRYING to see something.February 22, 2010
Ramblings of a Mad Cow
I have a bone to pick with America! I think its ludicrous that women are expected to cover themselves when we breastfeed our children. Why should we have to be so secretive about it? My child getting food from my breast is just as natural (if not more natural) as you eating a butchered cow on bread with cheese and ketchup. But you're not expected to eat your lunch with a blanket over your head. And no one expects you to go find a hiding place and eat in private. The media has turned a woman's body into something almost entirely sexual, so that when a baby is breastfeeding in public its almost considered indecent exposure. Jackson hates being covered up when he eats. Its hot and uncomfortable for him and for me. Which makes it difficult to do in public. My baby deserves to be comfortable when he's eating, and I deserve to be comfortable when I'm feeding him, after all, I'm trying my hardest to do what I feel is best for him. Breastfeeding isn't always easy for mom, so why do people have to make it harder for us? I've heard so many women say, "I don't care if other women don't cover up when they nurse, but I cover up because I never know if the people around me will be offended or not." In fact, I'm pretty sure I've said things like that. But I've come to realize that the people around me are not who I should be concerned about. I should be concerned about my child, and my child's comfort. A woman's breasts serve multiple purposes, all of which are beautiful and natural. There is a time and place for each of them. In public, when feeding a child, they are serving one of those purposes. So, here is your fair warning that if it offends you when I breastfeed in public, you can remove yourself from the situation or put a blanket over your head. I'm not going to leave the restaurant, or leave church services, or go sit on the bathroom toilet or floor in an airport, or go sit in the back of my car, or even go to another room. Not until everyone else starts doing the same when they're hungry. I will try to be discreet and I promise you won't see anything unless you're TRYING to see something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Home Is Where The Army Sends Us
Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006

10 comments:
Amen to that! There was a big artical in the Standard Examiner years ago about moms and breastfeeding in public and saying it was indecent exposure and that we should go somewhere else to feed our babies! I was furious! I think it's rediculous that we have to act like a hermit because other people are perverts or have perverted minds. So sad how this world is today....
It's actually a law here that if a woman wants to breatsfeed, she has to be allowed to. I agree with you, Katie. Though I will say that if you are gonna breastfeed in public try to be discreet. We actually have a friend who, when she was breastfeeding, popped it out at several occasions. Which isn't uncomfortable for me or any of the other women there, but when Jason walked into the room got an EYEFUL! He was very uncomfortable, and and felt it was innapropriate. I absolutaly think that we should be able to feed our babies whenever and wherever we want, but my rule of thumb is just be mindful of your audience.
The first time that happened to Clint he was a little taken aback. And embarassed. But now he's gotten used to it and it doesn't bother him so much. You can be very discreet without having to cover up, but I don't think people should be upset/offended/concerned if they see a little skin because in that situation you are using your breast to feed your child, not to seduce or be sexual in any way. I wish the general public would realize that and not make such a fuss about it.
You go girl!!!!!! :)
I always cover up but not for others, only for myself. That is what I am comfortable with and I haven't had a baby yet that doesn't like to be covered when breastfeeding, but I don't really care if others feed without covering. It does however make Preston very uncomfortable, but oh well. There aren't a lot of mom's who breastfeed without covering up around here except those from other countries and they are not very discreet about it, they leave it out as the child lets go and plays for a bit then comes back for more, that I think is strange.
THAT definitely is strange and not discreet at all! I would never let the WHOLE thing show. But I met a Russian girl here that was the same way. Our culture is just not used to it I guess, because this Russian girl had never seen anyone cover up before and thought I was the strange one :)
I love that picture of the baby at the bottom! Great post Katie, I don't think I realized that people would be like that. I am planning on calling you tonight, so be aware :) I won't wake you up this time.
Katie, Back in my breastfeeding days, I had a dress that was wonderful. It transformed from a maternity dress to a nursing dress, depending on how the elastic and button was arranged, and the babies could nurse without being covered, and without showing skin. We made the dresses in a RS meeting, and I still have it!! I wonder if you have seen or heard of anything like that? God love ya, supermom!
I couldn't agree more! It enrages me that anyone would find breastfeeding offensive. While you can't go anywhere in our society without being confronted with someone's half exposed breasts and that is completely accepted as normal. Such a double standard!!! I for one think breast feeding is a beautiful act. Though I was a bit dismayed to see a 4 year old nursing at Disney World. =D I love your title too by the way.
I find it interesting that the men are the ones who are all offended. And maybe not so offended as uncomfortable. It is because it is another woman's breast and a breast to most men is a sexual thing. They can get used to it. I say go for it if you can do it discreetly.
Post a Comment