I have been trying to take some steps toward becoming a healthier family. The first step was to stop washing my wood floors with chemicals, seeing as the kids spend a lot of time on them. I've started washing them with vinegar and water. Which actually makes them look and feel cleaner. The smell of vinegar makes me gag, but it doesn't leave a smell when you clean with it, so thats not a concern.
My next step was to stop using and reusing plastic water bottles. I've known for a long time that the plastic can break down and get into your drinking water, but it wasn't until I started doing research that I realized just how bad it is for you. So I bought all of us stainless steel, 100% recyclable waterbottles called Klean Kanteens.
Today I was looking up info about lead levels in children. My friend had her kids tested and one of them was over the safe level. So she had to test all her toys and get rid of some of them. Well, while doing my research I found a website called Skin Deep that talks about cosmetics (women and children) that have unsafe levels of medals in them. Turns out 98% of my makeup and lotions are in the hazardous levels. It lists the types of health issues that can be caused by excessive exposure. Anyway, I'm not super paranoid usually, but now I'm second guessing what products I should use.
Its funny how they say that cancer and heart disease and all these other things are more common now than they used to be. But they don't tell you its because we are exposed to so many toxins without ever knowing it. Even the packaged foods we eat....
Makes you think...
February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Home Is Where The Army Sends Us
Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
7 comments:
Have you seen those commercials for the 7th generations cleaners?? They are cleaners that are all natural with no chemicals....they even make diapers with no chemicals in them. I have thought about checking them out because all those chemicals really do make you think....
I know, my mom and I have been talking about the same thing. she got cancer in 2007 and it made me think, why is everyone getting cancer now? then we found out the same thing you mentioned, there's so many toxins in almost everything we use and do. Heating up plastic wear in microwaves is dangerous (i've been doing that for years!) and canned food, cleaning supplies, gum and even deodorant have dangerous chemicals. Aluminum is found in deodorants and so we've switched to the natural kind found at Harmon's. It's just crazy to think about, I'm not too paranoid either, but i'm def. trying to be a lot more careful.
I hear ya! You should get a steam mop, then you don't have to smell the vinegar and get down and scrub, ;), haha. It sanitizes and you dont use any chemicals just tap water.
I went through this same change about 8 months ago. I no longer use water bottles,Ireuse all bags, avoid packaged and processed food. Eat free range, organic meats and eggs. Thebook I read over Christmas really helped me to know what to do. It's called, "Chill Out and Get Healthy, live clean to be strong and stay sexy." by Aimee Raupp. I think you'll find some great stuff in there. Good Luck with everything :)
I use vinegar and water to clean so many things! You will actually get used to the smell. At first I noticed all the time, then the other day a friend was over I was cleaning the counter and she said..."Yuck I can smell the vinegar." I didn't even notice it.
Also about the modeling pictures, Spencer just copied them from the website. Have you found the website yet? Let me know I can help you out.
I go to a class called Just Health once a week and I have learned so much. My teacher told us last week that she has a book by some guy who was on Oprah a couple weeks ago and he said if our great grandparents can't tell it's food we shouldn't be eating it. He also said that anything that comes through your car window can not be considered food. I thought that was funny. He also said if it comes from a plant you should eat it, if it is made in a plant (factory) you shouldn't eat it. She also told us that you should only shop the perifial of the store. Never shop the isles. I have learned a lot from her. I'm glad you are all learning this while you are young. It will overflow into your kids and they will be a much healthier generation.
It really is scary when you start researching a lot of foods and such. It always makes me wonder why they even started making them?
Post a Comment