" Oh, that every girl and woman would have a testimony of her potential for eternal motherhood...Female roles did not begin on earth, and they do not end here. A woman who treasures motherhood on earth will treasure motherhood in the world to come, and where her treasure is, there will her heart be also. [ Matthew 6:21 ] By developing a mother heart, each girl and woman prepares for her divine, eternal mission of motherhood."
-Sister Julie B. Beck
I found this quote on my friend's blog (thanks Monique). I just thought it was really great because, (don't think I'm horrible), sometimes I forget why being a mom seemed so appealing to me. I know that sounds awful, but sadly its true. I sometimes, especially in my abnormal circumstance, forget the amazing opportunity and responsibility that Heavenly Father has given to me. This quote reminds me that my 24/7 'job' is a divine one and it is exactly what I am supposed to be doing right now. It is something I should treasure more than I do.
It seems like some women were born to raise children. And they were born good at it. Its 2nd nature to them to be a good mother and to be so kind and loving to their children all the time. I feel like I'm not one of those women. I don't think kindness is 2nd nature to me (I know you're laughing Clint!). Its something I have to consciously work at every day. Even with my own family. Even with my own daughter who is more perfect than I realize. So anyway, I'll be reading this quote often to remind me of the divine nature of my role as a mother and wife.
October 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Home Is Where The Army Sends Us
Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
4 comments:
That is true... It is really easy to forget!
By-the-way I can think of far worse things than books...It is good you read with her!
I wish I could say I don't ever struggle with being kind and loving to my children. But I can't. It will probably always be a conscious effort. Okay, maybe not when I'm 80- but for the next little while!
It's a constant struggle isn't it?! Just when I feel like the day has gone super well, something happens to destroy it in my mind. I try to keep an open mind, but just can't figure out what my little ones are thinking all the time. Along with the struggle they sure do bring more joy than I could ever have imagined (this being typed while Logan throws a ball at my head :D)
It's so good to know that we're not the only ones who feel inadequate and have to work at things that seem to come so easily for others...this in itself gives me strength to keep doing my best and reminds me that being a mom is more important than ANYTHING else =D
Post a Comment