January 5, 2009

Sick Baby

On Thursday (New Year's Day), the day we moved, Morgan had a little cold. Well, Thursday night it got really bad and she got a fever. I spent most the night in the rocking chair with her and then the next day she was acting very weak, tired, and not like herself at all.

I kept trying to get her to play with her toys and next thing I know I'd find her like this.
We had to clean the apartment over at the barraks. Clint sat Mo on the bed and 2 seconds later, this is how I found her.
We took her back to our new apartment and again, she can't keep her eyes open.
Thursday night she was burning up again so I took her temperature. It was 102. I called the ER to see if I should take her in and all they could tell me was that they aren't allowed to give medical advice over the phone. So finally we decided to take her in, she was obviously very sick and getting lethargic. So we made the 45 minute drive to the ER. When we got there her temp was 104. They gave her medicine to bring down the temp and then did a few tests to see if they could find an infection. They had to straight cath her for a urine sample, but couldn't get anything. So they taped a bag around her girl parts to catch the urine if peed. Then they did a chest xray in a machine that looked like an old fashioned baby torture chair and was absolutely aweful! Of course the first x ray was blurry and they had to do it all over again. Poor Morgan! Later, they did another catheter because she wasn't peeing, but she ended up peeing on the table before they could get the catheter in. So they taped yet another bag to her. Then we just waited for her to pee and for test results.
Everything came back normal. No signs of infection. When finally she did pee in the bag they did a urinalysis, which also came back normal besides a few extra white blood cells. They said it was prbably just an upper respiratory infection and finally sent us home after almost 5 hours.


She had an appointment for her immunizations on Monday, but her fever was still coming and going. I took her anyway so that the pediatrician could take a look. She started screaming as soon as I layed her down on the bed, I'm pretty sure she knew what was coming. He did his exam on her and said he couldn't visibly see anything wrong with her (thats because he doesn't know that she's normally very vocal and smiley, not lethargic and red-eyed). So he decided to do a blood test to see if in her weakend condition she had contracted some kind of bacterial infection in her blood. It took 2 grown military men to hold her down while the doc looked for a vein. He tried to find a good one on her arm and hand but couldn't, so he checked her femoral artery and decided to take it from there. Thankfully he got enough blood in only one needlestick. Morgan took it like a champ. She screamed "mama" the whole time, and pushed out some pretty good farts, but she never cried when she actually got pricked with the needle. I think she was mostly upset that they were holding her down. She was fine as soon as she had ahold of her blanket.

Last night after I put her to bed she started coughing uncontrollably so I went in to check on her. I picked her up and she started throwing up everywhere! It was shooting straight out like fire out of a dragon's mouth. It was horrible! After about 3 times Clint got her to the bathtub and cleaned her up while I cleaned her room. What a mess! But this morning, she is crawling around and playing with toys and pulling herself up on furniture. So I think the throwing up helped. She's much more herself.

Wow, long story. Ha, we'll let you know if something serious comes of it. Most likely its just something viral that is going around. All I know is that having her in the hospital, even for something "minor" was a horrible experience and I don't ever want to do it again! I can't stand to see children suffer. It breaks my heart, and to have it be my own, and not being able to do anything to help her get better is so frustrating. I have a new found realization of how our Father in Heaven must look down on us and wish he could do more to make us "better", and how His heart must ache for us.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. She looks horrible. Poor, poor, poor baby. In the picture where she is holding her head and then puts her hand over her eyes looks like she has a throbing headache. Least that is how i feel when I look like that. Poor baby. I feel so bad for her. I hope she is feeling better. Sleep and lots of fluids. I'm glad Clint gave her a blessing. I felt better right away when you told me that. Give her big kisses and loves for me, but don't squeeze her till her head pops off cause it looks like she's having a headache already. :-) Take care. I hope you don't get whatever she had. Love you guys so much and am glad you are back.

Kattelman Krew said...

oh, sweet Morgan :( I'm sorry she had to go through that. I sure hope shes getting better... Abrielle has been super sick since Christmas turns out she has a viral type of pneumonia.

The Phipps said...

Oh my she does look sick! Hope that she is feeling better. I hate it when a child is sick and she looked really sick!! I think that is what my niece just had it is horrible. Get better Morgan and hang in there mom!

Windy said...

How sad! I almost cried seeing her looking so sick. That's such a horrible feeling for us parents. Ya'll did a great job and I'm glad it seems like she's getting better.

The Patty Cake House said...

Ok - that broke my heart. I hate the helpless feeling you feel when your kids are sick. I'm so sorry that sweet little Morgan had to go through that and I'm so happy she is getting better. Keep us updated!

Luke and Erin said...

Oh I just HATE, HATE, HATE that. It is good she probably just had a little bug and she puked it up. Our doc told us to give our kids popsicles, Pedilite, Gatorade, etc. when they don't want to eat. Can you get any of that stuff? The last time Bree got really sick we ended up in the ER and they told us to alternate Motrin and Tylenol to control the fever. Anyway all of that is pointless now if she is feeling better.
I hope you are getting settled into your new house and Morgan is doing 110% better.

M C said...

Oh Poor little Morgan!! How horrible!! I feel so bad for her! Sweet girl! I can't believe you have to drive 45 minutes to an emergency room?! That is insane! I know the "torture chair" you're talking about at the x-rays. Ashley had that experience at 3 months old. Not fun!! I hate when little babies and kids are sick, it is so hard on everyone! Hope she is doing better.. Give her love from Aunt Mia.

Holly Lind said...

I know how bad it sucks taking a sick kid to the ER, and I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm just glad that everything turned out OK. Wouldn't it be so much easier if she could just tell you what is wrong? Hopefully you've all had a chance to recover!

Mindy said...

Poor Mo Mo!!!! I hope she is doing better. The picture of her with her little red eyes made me want to cry! Please email me your phone number! I want to call you! You are never on skype anymore. (I don't blame you though because you are moving) Hope you like your new home!

Rebecca Talley said...

It's the worst when babies/kids are sick. I've had two babies in the NICU and one hospitalized for a urinary tract infection--all horrible experiences.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Benjamin and Jennie said...

oh morgan...:( I hope she starts feeling better

Troy and Rebekah said...

It's hard to know who was in worse shape, you or Morgan. I'm glad that you're both feeling better and that it wasn't something more serious.

thejencooper said...

Poor Morgan! She look so miserable in that picture! What an aweful experience for her and for you guys. I hate when babies get sick. You feel so helpless. I hope she is feeling better :)

The Healthy Nutcase said...

OHHHH, poor baby! That picture of her just breaks my heart! I hope she's feeling better. :(

Home Is Where The Army Sends Us

Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006