August 21, 2008

Since Ya Asked-August 21, 2008

A lot of people are asking for an update on when I'll be going to Korea, so here's the scoop.

Clint finished in-processing yesterday and on Monday he begins an Officer Leadership course which lasts a week, I think. He is currently at Camp Stanley but he just found out he'll be stationed at K-16 Airbase for sure. From what I understand K-16 is located on the Southeast side of Seoul (the capital of Korea), just outside the city. Its super small and doesn't have a PX, Commissary, or health/dental care. However Yongsan (a large Army post) is about 12 miles north of K-16, right in the heart of Seoul, and there is a shuttle that travels between the posts. The Blackhawks at K-16 used to fly out of Camp Stanley (for those who have been to Korea) but they moved the choppers in 2005.

After Clint finishes his week of Officer Leadership then he will be off to K-16. He is working on getting command sponsored. If he succeeds then we will qualify for on post housing, on post child care, we'll have priority for health care, and the military will pay for us to fly over there. If he doesn't get sponsored then I'll be going over there on our dime and we will live on the economy. We still have no idea when/if I'll be going. But we're guessing at least another month at the soonest. The only thing that will prevent me from moving over there is if Clint can't get permission to live off-post. As long as that happens I'll be going regardless of command sponsorship or the lack thereof. I think thats all we know as of right now. I've been trying to do research on the area and learn as much as I can about how things work before I get over there so I'm not totally overwhelmed. I'm so excited and I just keep praying that everything works out for me to make the move.

5 comments:

The Fisher's said...

At least you have a tentative plan :) It will all work out in the end, somehow I'm sure, it's just going to be an adventure trying to start your new adventure, right!?

Justin and Kristin Neal said...

We are so glad to hear things are going well! It will all work out!

thejencooper said...

Holy cow Katie! I hope it all works out!

Generational stitcher said...

Hang in there! A plan is good...even if it doesn't work out :) which I am sure it will! Do you get to talk to him much? or is it mostly email? It would seem like the communication is still decent :)

Troy and Rebekah said...

Hopefully it all works out. I'll be praying for ya. :)

Home Is Where The Army Sends Us

Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006