August 26, 2008

Call Family Reunion in Declo, Idaho-August 22-24, 2008

This last weekend Morgan and I went to a Call family reunion in Idaho. The Call's are my dad's family and I haven't seen them in a long time. My grandpa's siblings were there with their children and grandchildren. I think the count was about 80 people, which is less than there usually is. We left Salt Lake on Friday (the 22nd) afternoon with my dad, stepmom, brother, sister-in-law, and 2 nieces.

Marshall, Jenny, and Morgan at a rest stop.
My dad making our little pit stop into an adventure for the little girls. He's so good at things like that.
Makayla and Morgan at the RV park where the reunion was.
Our first activity once we got to Idaho was to go swimming in the pool. The park had a pool, hot tub, showers, cable hookups, and free WiFi internet. It was like we never left home! Makayla and Gabriella don't take pictures without posing. Aren't they adorable!
Here's the pool. Yes, it was as small as it looks.
Day 2-Saturday the 23rd. I think this was the Snake River. We went on a little walk after breakfast. It was nice except the freeway was really close.
I thought this sign was neat. It was made out of horse shoes
Marshall took his family fishing at the pond. We stopped to see if they had caught any fish. I snapped this picture just as Jenny (in the pink shirt) was falling into the pond. She didn't actually go all the way in, thanks to my cousin James.
Potato Ice Cream...no its not what you think. Its vanilla ice cream shaped like a potato and rolled in cocoa powder to make it look like a potato. Then topped with whipped cream, oreos, chocolate syrup, and nuts. So delicious and only in Idaho!
The Call family is big on a game called Nerk or Nark or something like that. I'd never heard of it but it looked fun!
Every year at the family reunion they have an auction. Everyone donates or makes items to sell and the money made from the auction goes toward the next year's reunion.
This is my grandpa Call. Grandma (standing on the left) bought that big stuffed snake thats around his neck. My stepmom actually MADE 2 of the snakes to sell in the auction.
Sunset on Saturday night.
Jenny entertaining Morgan during the auction. Or was Morgan entertaining Jenny? I'm not sure.
Day 3-Sunday the 24th. Gabriella, Morgan, and Makayla. These 2 girls can't get enough of Morgan. They came in first thing Sunday morning and asked if Morgan could be awake so they could play with her. They're so cute!
On our way home from Idaho we decided to go to Promontory Point. But on the way we found ATK. I'm not exactly sure what it stands for, but its where my younger brother, Otto, works. He is an aerospace engineer and helps design navigation systems on rockets and missles. (I think thats right). Anyway, we stopped at the "rocket park" to look around.
It was actually really neat and I'm glad we got to see it. Its literally in the middle of nowhere and I would never have driven so far to see it if we weren't on a little vacation.



Morgan loved these rocks. She couldn't stop eating them
Mo and Me
Makayla, Mo, and me

Unfortunantly I didn't take note of what each thing in the park was. But trust me, it was all really big and really cool!

Next stop was Promontory Point where the East and West railroads met. From what I understand this is how the story goes; The government didn't have any specific rules/regulations on the rail road system, so there were 2 companies competing to reach Ogden, Utah first. Union Pacific coming from the East and Central Pacific coming from the West. The railroads built 250 feet passed each other when an agreement was finally reached and they came together at Promontory Point. It was Union Pacific that reached Ogden first and took over the railroad.
This is the Union Pacific Rail Road steam train that came from the East. It is coal burning.
This is the Central Pacific Rail Road train that came from the West. Its wood burning.

Every night the trains are put away in a train yard to protect them from the elements and from vandalizm. We were lucky enough to see the engineers start up the UP train and move it to the yard.

8 comments:

Melissa & Jimmy said...

Wow, looks like you are keeping busy! How fun that you get to spend some time with your family before leaving. You should come and spend some time with your Alabama families. We miss you!

Melissa & Jimmy said...

Wow, looks like you are keeping busy! How fun that you get to spend some time with your family before leaving. You should come and spend some time with your Alabama families. We miss you!

Justin and Kristin Neal said...

Look at all the fun you two are having! Morgan is just so cute and you look amazing!

Luke and Erin said...

Jermey loves those trains!!! Up that way is where the boys go rabbit hunting.
Glad you had a good time!

The Fisher's said...

I've never been there, it looks neat! Logan would have loved seeing the trains, oh wait, they run RIGHT behind our apartment right now, we "get" to run out to see them when they go past :) Glad you are enjoying your time there!

Mindy said...

It's hard for me to look at these pictures, knowing that I live right there and you didn't come to visit. :) Just kidding, you know I love ya! I miss you already..we have been back a total of 12 hours and I am homesick. It is good to be back though.

Carissa said...

This is pretty close to where we live, you should have come to visit!

M C said...

You guys are having way too much fun! Wish we could have been there too! That baked potato dessert looks yummi! -Mia

Home Is Where The Army Sends Us

Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006