October 30, 2012

Cutting The Bills in Half

Okay, so a little update on my attempt to save more money:
I went grocery shopping today. Holy cow! 1 month of food for four people is A LOT!!! You should have seen the looks I got from people with my 10 gallons of milk! I managed to keep it under $500. (Remember we wee spending upwards of $800 a month in groceries). So I was pretty happy. I stocked up on a lot of canned goods that I normally keep on hand; tomato sauce, beans, etc, and also bought a few cleaning supplies. It was overwhelming chopping so much celery and onions and peppers and strawberries. I haven't even baked my bread yet! I spent 4 hours grocery shopping and 2 hours chopping and preparing. So I figure 6 hours of work (plus an hour for bread) and I "made" (saved) $300. I view my role as a wife and SAHM as a job, so everything I do needs to be in an effort to save or make money. i.e. Staying home with the kids saves us on paying for daycare( not to mention the benefit it has on the children). Keeping on a cleaning schedule saves me time and allows me to accomplish other things and spend time with the kids. You get the point. My biggest concern is this no pre-packaged food business. Yes I saved money, but what on earth am I going to send in Clint's and Morgan's lunches everyday? We shall see! I'll keep you posted on how it goes!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Home Is Where The Army Sends Us

Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006