October 8, 2009
My mom left on Wednesday and the last 2 days have been a nightmare! Jackson will only sleep while he's nursing, but when I take him off (because he's sleeping) he wakes up and cries hysterically. He sleeps pretty good the first 2-3 hours of the night and then sleeps another 1-2 hours after that. During the day he sleeps a maximum of 3-4 hours. What ever happened to newborns sleeping 16-20 hours a day? I'm at my witts end because I'm not getting any sleep. Not even naps during the day because I can't handle hearing him scream. Not to mention I have a 2 year old that requires just as much (if not more) attention. I'm exhausted and forgot how much work babies are. Though, Morgan was never this tough. She would sleep about 4 hours at a time during the night. I'm ready to just give up and give the kid a bottle. But he's still not nursing quite right, and I'm afraid of starting nipple confusion. He doesn't take a pacifier of any kind, he doesn't like his swing or his carseat or bouncer seat or either of the slings I have. I'm at a total loss! I would love to cuddle and rock with him all day long, but it just isn't possible. Anyone have any suggestions. He's been awake since 930 this morning. Its 2 pm now. So he's been awake 5 hours, 3 of which were spent crying, 2 where spent nursing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Home Is Where The Army Sends Us
Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
8 comments:
Do you think maybe he has a tummy ache or isnt feeling well? Babies usually act like that when they don't feel good. Maybe try giving him some of those gas relief drops, maybe that would help. I'm sorry Kate! I wish I could help. Hang in there, it will get easier...;)
I agree with Shelly. It sounds like a little bit of colic. Maybe along with the gas relief drops you could try to lay him on his tummy on a warm hot pad for a few minutes. The warmth might help, unless laying on his tummy will upset him even more. I also wish I could help. Maybe Clint will have to take over on a day off and let you sleep with ear plugs. Good luck. Love you.
Logan only fell asleep nursing and only stayed asleep on top of me for the first few months - not possible with Morgan there however - so sorry! A bottle will probably mix him up, have you tried any kind of white noise? Harlee thrived off sleeping in her bassinet in the bathroom where it was super dark and we left the fan on to block out noise, seemed to help her a bit. No one is going to have a perfect answer, but you'll get it - you're a good mom who loves her babies, take it an hour at a time!!
oh Katie! I'm so sorry! I wish I had suggestions or words of advice, but considering I've never been in your situation I think I'm the last one the be giving you advice. I'm so proud of you and you strength to raise 2 children, move to a foreign country, and have a husband in the military. I always joke with Jake and tell him he can't join the military cause I couldn't handle the stress. I see how hard it is with my brothers and I dont know how thier wives do it either? I look up to you and I know you can do it. Miss you! I hope things get better.
Is there someone that could take Morgan for a few hours today while you could just focus on yourself and Jackson? Get comfy with him in bed and even if all he would do is eat and cat nap during this time, maybe you would still be able to relax and get some cat napping in there along with him.. I don't funtion at all if I do not get rest so I feel your frustration. How do you guys handle stuff at nights? We came down to this arrangement untill Trav left, My job at night was to feed Landon that was it, Trav changed the Diapers and put him to sleep. Usually Landon feel asleep eating, Trav took him and just like Jackson, Landon would start to cry.. Trav still took him (out of the room) and tried to do his tricks to put him to sleep. Sometimes it worked, other times Trav would come back 15 minutes later or whatever and wake me up -yep, I slept like a rock as soon as my head hit that pillow! I was so exhausted. I would feed Landon again -It felt like he wanted to eat non-stop sometimes! As soon as Landon did his thing, Trav was back on the job again.. It worked for us, in the fact that even if Trav was only able to take him 15 minutes at a time sometimes, those 15 minutes meant a lot to me and visa versa! You have got to get some rest. You hang in there, it will get better! If there is a lactation specialist around there give her a call. I would not have survived without mine. The support, ideas and information they have, it's awesome!
Do you know how to massage and "bend" their legs towards the tummy to squeeze and help get their gas out?
Try to give him a warm bath during the day..
I still get the feeling he is mainly in a growth spurt, I would bet 5 bucks in a few days he will be more calm and seem more at ease about eating and sleeping.. Good luck. You will get through this!
I wish so bad we lived closer so I could run over and take morgan for you or throw in some laundry or whatever.. I miss you! Sorry for the rant! :)
Hang in there! You are all going to make it!
I had the eating problem with Jeremy. He was always hungry! I had to use a bottle after about 3 weeks. He was just running me dry. He did fine with going between bottle and nursing. It seems that we did every other feeding until my milk was just gone.
I think I was starving the poor kid cause my milk was so thin. He was so much happier when I supplemented, and so was I. He started sleeping 20-22 hours a day and the constant screaming went away.
You have done far better than I did to tough it out this long.
The advise I got from the lactation specialist was to try pumping and see how much milk I really had in a single feeding. I only had about 2 oz. total. Which was not enough for Jer. Good Luck, you will get it figured out!
If you think you are frustrated, think how frustrated Jackson must be. Six week ago he was in a warm cuddly little world where he never had to worry about sleeping or eating or noise or being jostled around or anythig else. He was safe and secure at all times. He had not even felt a cool breeze at that time and he still doesn't understand what it is. Then suddenly he is ploped out into a world where every thing is different and he is frustrated and probably a little scared, and he even has a little trouble eating. Try to understand him and give him a little time and he will adjust. He will be a fine boy and you will be so proud of him. Remember there a wives who do not even handle being overseas with thier military husbands very well so what can we expect of a tiny newborn, some handle it better than others.
Love ya, Grampa Hill
Post a Comment