As of Saturday the 7th, Morgan is officially off of the bottle. Completely 100% off. She hasn't had one since Friday night. I'm a little concerned though...
I had her down to 2 bottles a day. One in the afternoon and one in the evening. But last week we had an appointment at the hospital and a lady (we'll call her a "nutrition consultant") told me that Morgan should have been off the bottle at 12 months and that I had made a mistake by giving her milk in her bottle. I thought this was a little outrageous. I don't know many 12 month old kids that are completely off the bottle and boob.
I decided to see what Morgan would do if she didn't have a bottle all day or all night and lo and behold, she was perfectly fine without it. She slept her usual 10-12 hours at night and never woke up once. So I guess she doesn't need it, but now the thing thats concerning me is that she refuses to drink milk out of her sippy cup. So she's not drinking any milk anymore. I'm worried that she's not getting the calcium, vitamin D, and fat that she needs in her diet.
What do you think?
February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Home Is Where The Army Sends Us
Fort Hood, Texas/December 2010-
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
Fort Rucker, Alabama IPC/September 2010-November 2010
K-16/Seoul Airbase, Korea/Aug 2008-September 2010
Fort Rucker, Alabama/August 2006-July 2008
Fort Jackson, South Carolina BCT/June 2006-August 2006
12 comments:
GOP, no clue. I could look it up and pretend I am smart but I don't know. It sounds like one of the useless triva facts that no one REALLY need to know about.
I had a problem with Jeremy and Emma and milk in a sippy. So I mixed it with chocolate. With Emma I tried to play the 'bad' guy and just keept giving it to her until she gave in. Yeah right liked that worked. It jsut made her hate it more. So then I got smart and mixed it with chocolate milk. I slowly put less chocolate and more regular until it was not a problem. You could try that. And it really isn't bad for you. The trick it too make sure it has just enough choco taste for her to like it, if it is too strong then she will be hooked and never want to give it up. It took me about 5 weeks to be choco free!
All of my kids went from a sippy to a bottle at around 12 months. But they did it on their own. They all would take a few sips out of the bottle and then throw it to the side. I would have let them use it longer if they wanted. It isn't going to kill'em.
However, they are telling me that Emma's speech problems are because I let her have a sippy too long. I guess 2-3 years is too long.
Gop? Gubernatorial (sp). something or other president. I hate achronyms - there's too many in the ARMY!
Logan stopped breatfeeding at 13 months (never took a bottle) and that is also when he stopped drinking milk - of any form. I have tried every flavor out there and he still isn't big on it, we try occassionally still. He'll be three in May. We do lots of yogurt, cheese, sour cream, etc. (he doesn't care much for ice cream, but a Dr. recommended that once). I do have a friend that took her daughter off the bottle at about 2 1/2 and she is perfectly normal. Just like you she had it for nap and bedtime. Do what you feel is best for Morgan and the other stuff will work out. Aaron sometimes worries that Logan doesn't drink milk, I don't worry as often, we'll see in the long run :)
That tutu by the way is adorable!!
Tylan was off the bottle at 12 months. I gave him no choice but I did give him milk in the soft top sippy cups. That's the only way he would drink out of any kind of sippy.
I don't think you should worry too much. There are other things that can give her calcium and the vitamins she needs. Look for other foods that have calcium, other milk products. Also, look into childrens vitamins. Some have calcium in them and also Vitamin D. Look at the labels and see what they have.
Don't give up on trying to give her milk. See if she will eat cereal with milk on it. In other words, trick her. ;-) I think eventually she will acquire a taste for it other than with a bottle.
You are a good mom, Katie. You have a feel for her more than anyone and your instincts will let you know what's right for her. It's a mother's gift. We love and miss you!!!
I don't think you should worry too much. There are other things that can give her calcium and the vitamins she needs. Look for other foods that have calcium, other milk products. Also, look into childrens vitamins. Some have calcium in them and also Vitamin D. Look at the labels and see what they have.
Don't give up on trying to give her milk. See if she will eat cereal with milk on it. In other words, trick her. ;-) I think eventually she will acquire a taste for it other than with a bottle.
You are a good mom, Katie. You have a feel for her more than anyone and your instincts will let you know what's right for her. It's a mother's gift. We love and miss you!!!
I really don't know why mine posted twice. Sorry!!
I took Ambria off the bottle at 12 months, but like Morgan, she won't drink milk. I have tried several ways. I give it to her in cereal, and I've tried pediasure, but she won't drink any of it. So I eventually gave in and gave some formula with extra calcium in it. she is off that now, but I still have to give her calcium in other ways, like cheese and yogurt. I keep trying the milk though, don't give up.
Lanie won't drink milk either! So I give her Orange Juice WITH Calcium. She'll eat yogurt and string cheese. But she can't have milk fat anyway because it tears her stomach up. Good Luck!
I don't know GOP is either?
I remember when the twins were little they were on wic and they stop giving formula and also said they should be off the bottle at 12months. So I remembered that and when my 'doctor' told me when the girls turned 1 that they should be off the bottle to. It has to do with their teeth and how they grow in. And I did and the girls were fine. As far as the milk goes, she is use to having it in the bottle. I think it is a matter of getting use to it in the cup. Keep trying, it takes a couple of weeks to get a routine or habit formed. So don't give up, she will come around with the milk.
My advice is to only offer milk at mealtimes. I used to give Kaleb juice or water or milk and he would never want the milk because he liked the juice better. We had to make a habit of always drinking milk with breakfast lunch and dinner.
Sometimes they think it's more exciting in a little cup. Or you could try a cup and a cute straw.
I was lactose intolerant as a baby and had to drink Soy forumla. After that I didn't drink milk and look how I turned out! Ha! Ha!:) Anyway, yes there are other ways to get calcium: leafy greens or dark green veges, oranges, whole wheat, calcium fortified o.j. ect., and they do have calcium supplements for small people. I use "Calm Plus Calcium" It's a powder that you mix with hot water and then add juice for small children. The website is www.petergillham.com. If you check it out and would like to try some I will gladly ship it to you or maybe you can figure out how to order it from the website. I couldn't. I just buy it at the health food store. I hope this helps.
Post a Comment